Sunday, April 10, 2011

Web Comic Review: Real Girls

I haven't done a review on a new comic in a while so I think it's about time.

Real Girls is a comic I have just come across which is still in it's early stages, but from what I have seen so far I'm expecting big things from it. The story is about two girls who aren't "really" girls, making the title a bit of a humorous farce. Alex is a male to female trans-gender, who doesn't have any friends because of what she is, who happens upon a malfunctioning android girl named Kayla wandering the street with a bullet hole in her head. Feeling sorry for the overly cheerful (considering her owner just shot her in the head) android, Alex takes her home with her and has the guy across the hall (who happens to work on androids) fix her up as best he can.

It doesn't take long for us to find out that Kayla is an illegal prototype who probably belonged to some kind of crime boss and was shot in the head because she had seen too much, giving us an actually interesting story. That and the fact that said crime boss knows Kayla is still active and is more then likely looking for her. The story flows along very well in a way I rarely see outside of professional comic books and/or manga. Even the side characters have well written back stories that are seamlessly worked in without affecting the flow of the overall story.

The art is simplistic yet well done and a joy to look at. The artist has a clever way of mixing gritty with cute. Even I, as a straight man, can't help but find Alex to be just adorable. Adorable enough to overlook the fact that she's still technically a dude and just enjoy the comic for what it is without bringing my own sexuality into question...

On a scale of 1 to 10 I give Real Girls an 8 with room to grow. If you want to check it out for yourself just click on the link to it in my Recommended Reading sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment