Thursday, May 7, 2009

The allegory

Tolkien once said that he hated allegories. So in his mind the ring of power didn't represent anything else. It simply was what it was. I on the other hand love allegories. It's a great tool for an author to do and say a great many things without actually having to say them. And I do see the 'whole' Lord Of The Rings as one big allegory even if Tolkien didn't intend it that way.

The new comic I have started working on, Confessions Of A Teenage Carnivore, is itself an allegory. Even though on the outside it seems to be just a vore comic, if you look a little deeper you may see that it is actually talking about something else altogether. I didn't do this with The Black Marker Detective, but with COATC it just seemed to work really well. What I find the most interesting is that after I started to write it I began to see other possible allegories besides the one that I myself intended. So different people may come to different conclusions about what the story is really about. I hadn't tried to do that, but now that I see it I'm going to leave it as is. I think it's great.

But if you are wondering what the story is really about in my mind... Well I'm not going to tell you. You'll just have to read it as soon as the comic comes out and try to see for yourself what the stoer means to you. Besides, I think if I told the story straight out instead of using an allegory I would probably be crucified by today's society. People like me who speak their mind even if they know others won't agree aren't very popular right now. At least not where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment